Friday, September 13, 2013

Onderwijs (Education)

There is something to be said about the Universities here in Holland.  First off, they have windows! I don't mean the operating system, I'm talking actual see-through windows!  I know it seems like a silly thing to get excited about, but it never really crossed my mind until today.  I was sitting in class, starting to zone out during the presentation and realized that I was just staring at the skyline through the window.  Then it hit me!  If I were in the states I'd be doodling something in my notebook. We don't have windows in most of our classrooms back home (No, the tiny ones in the doors don't count). I will say, my notes are a lot more legible here since they aren't sprinkled with swirls and mini vampires. (I went through a Dracula phase in Film History last fall.)
Another thing is that our assignments actually have a purpose!  The professors give us assignments that are relevant to an actual working environment, and constantly reiterate the importance of self-motivated research.  One professor simply said that by thoroughly researching your subject you will simply create better work.  I completely agree!
In general, I am very impressed with the teaching style and subject matter of my lessons.  I also appreciate that the professors treat their students as adults and value their feedback.  However, I do not have such a rave review for my fellow classmates.  Now, I know this isn't true for all the students, but I have found that the students here have a real problem with shutting their mouths while the professor is giving a presentation.  Maybe it's a simple matter of age, as most of the students in my class are around the age of 19, or maybe it's the same back home and I didn't notice.  Either way, it drives me crazy!  I am here to learn.
All in all, I am enjoying my classes thus far and am excited to see my growth throughout the next few months!

No comments:

Post a Comment